In the midst of debugging login issues with Novell’s iFolder, I stumbled over this post about a tool for accessing the FLAIM database that underpins the whole system.
One of the problems is that the tool itself seems to have vanished from the trunk repository and so its existence was not at all obvious. There seem to be a few people having problems finding it and so I thought it worthwhile including the storebrowser files here so that you can get up and running more easily.
I’m going to document running StoreBrowser on your SERVER first. I’m assuming that you have a standard installation running on OpenSUSE 11.3 as that seems the best open source option at the current time (April 2011).
1) Download the zip package and unzip to a suitable location on your system.
2) Open a terminal window and navigate to the folder containing the StoreBrowser.exe file. It is important that you cd to this location as otherwise you will not be able to run it correctly.
3) Copy the asmx file to the appropriate place. This is OS specific and this guide is for OpenSUSE 11.3
cp SimiasBrowser.asmx /usr/lib/simias/web/
4) Ensure you have the directory ~/.local/share/ you may well need to mkdir ~/.local and then mkdir ~/.local/share .This location is used by the application to store its config data and it won’t auto create it, it will just complain.
5) if echo $DISPLAY shows nothing in your terminal, enter the following command
It is important to set the display otherwise mono will abort with an error like this;
Unhandled Exception: System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Windows.Forms.XplatUI —> System.ArgumentNullException: Could not open display (X-Server required. Check you DISPLAY environment variable)
6) mono StoreBrowser.exe
If all is well, the application should launch with an empty window. First click on file and select Open Store as shown below;
After selecting Open Store, you will need to enter the url for the local simias store. For example this will typically be http://localhost/simias10
Click on OK and assuming all is well, you will be prompted to login. You need to enter your ADMIN username and password in order to access the store, normal user accounts won’t do.
Once logged in, you will see the store tree to the left, however there is actually more to see but it’s hidden to the right of the window. To make it visible, drag the bottom right corner of the application window to enlarge it, and then drag to the left the dividing line that you will be able to see when you enlarge the frame.
You should end up with something that looks like this;
If you expand the Store and select an entry, you will get screens like this;
You can edit items by double clicking them. BUT FIRST A WARNING. MAKING ANY CHANGES TO A LIVE SYSTEM COULD RESULT IN THE LOSS OF YOUR DATA. This is a low level debugging tool that should be wielded by experts (feel free to get in touch if you know any!) and making changes could leave your system in an unstable state. Don’t go editing and deleting things and then complain to me afterwards that all your users have lost their data … it will be your fault not mine.
Don’t say I didn’t warn you …